PRESS RELEASE DETAILS
MICHELIN REACHES TWO MILLIONTH MICHELIN® X ONE® MILESTONE IN NORTH AMERICA
Celebrates with launch of innovative new X One® trailer tire and new retread
Greenville, S.C. (March 27, 2014) – Less than four years after topping one million MICHELIN® X One® tire sales, Michelin Americas Truck Tires announced it has reached the two million mark with the X One in North America, as demand for the innovative truck tire continues to grow. The pioneer in wide base single tire technology, Michelin marked the occasion by introducing new innovations for the X One lineup that includes the MICHELIN® X One® Line™ Energy T tire and the MICHELIN® X One® Line™ Energy T Pre-Mold™ Retread.
"Since the introduction of the X One, Michelin has led in the wide base single category with tires and retreads for every application, many on their second or third generation," said Ted Becker, vice president of marketing for Michelin Americas Truck Tires. "The adoption of the X One technology has accelerated because of the fuel and weight savings it brings to our customers. And, we look forward to delivering additional savings to our customers with the launch of the new X One trailer tire featuring the breakthrough Advanced Casing Technology."
Fleets that switched to X One tires have experienced up to a 10 percent improvement in fuel efficiency and more than 740 pounds of weight savings per truck. The X One technology also allows line haul and regional customers to meet Environmental Protection Agency SmartWay® requirements and CARB regulations. As a result, fleets have saved more than 150 million gallons of fuel, which translates into 1.5 million metric tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions that did not enter the atmosphere. With its weight savings, X One tires have also allowed fleets to carry millions of tons of added freight, resulting in increased revenue, better freight efficiency and additional CO2 emission savings.
The MICHELIN X One Line Energy T tire that was just launched represents the next generation wide base single trailer tire for line haul applications. With Michelin's breakthrough Advanced Casing Technology, the tire delivers a significant reduction in irregular wear, which is often experienced in dual and wide base single trailer tires. The tire's Advanced Casing Technology results in a contact patch with a consistent footprint, regardless of payload weight. It also provides a 15 percent improvement in removal mileage compared to the MICHELIN® X One® XTA®1. Available in a 445/50R22.5, the SmartWay verified, long mileage X One Line Energy T tire has solid shoulders and microsipes that also help resist irregular wear.
Along with this new tire, Michelin is also offering the new MICHELIN X One Line Energy T Pre-Mold Retread. This will allow fleets to continue reaping the benefits of the new X One Line Energy T tire with this SmartWay verified line haul trailer retread that provides exceptional fuel economy and long tread life. In fact, it has a full 13/32nds of tread depth and up to a 15 percent improvement in removal mileage when retreaded on an X One Line Energy T casing, as compared to the MICHELIN X One XTA Pre-Mold Retread on a MICHELIN X One XTA casing. A winged tread provides maximum shoulder adhesion and waved groove bottoms prevent stone drilling for added durability. It comes with the MICHELIN® on MICHELIN® guarantee.
Current MICHELIN X One tire line-up:
- NEW: MICHELIN® X One® LINE™ ENERGY T – Line Haul trailer tire. Delivers significant reduction in irregular wear.
- MICHELIN® X One® LINE™ ENERGY D – Line Haul drive tire. Leading fuel efficiency.
- MICHELIN® X One® XDN®2 – Line Haul and Regional drive tire. Outstanding mileage and traction.
- MICHELIN® X One® XTE® – Regional trailer tire. Excellent scrub resistance.
- MICHELIN® X One® XZY®3 – On/Off Road all position tire. Outstanding chip and cut resistance.
- MICHELIN® X One® XZU®S – Urban all position tire. Optimized for urban conditions.
MICHELIN X One tires are fully retreadable and come in a wide variety of Pre-Mold™ retreads through Michelin Retread Technologies:
- NEW: MICHELIN® X One® LINE™ ENERGY T Pre-Mold Retread – Line Haul trailer. Fights irregular wear.
- MICHELIN® X One® Line™ Energy D™ Pre-Mold Retread – Line Haul drive. Outstanding fuel and mileage.
- MICHELIN® X One® XDA® Pre-Mold Retread – Line Haul drive. Excellent fuel economy.
- MICHELIN® X One® XDN®2 Pre-Mold Retread – Line Haul and Regional drive. Outstanding mileage and traction.
- MICHELIN® X One® XDA®-HT™ Pre-Mold Retread – Line Haul and Regional drive. SmartWay-verified.
- MICHELIN® X One® XTE® Pre-Mold Retread – Regional trailer. Excellent scrub resistance.
- MICHELIN® X One® XTA® Pre-Mold Retread – Line Haul trailer. Resists irregular wear.
- MICHELIN® X One® XZU®S Pre-Mold Retread – Urban all-position. Optimized for urban conditions.
1Based on current pull point vs MICHELIN® X ONE® XTA® tire in field testing and observation.
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America, Inc. (www.michelin-us.com) employs more than 22,000 and operates 18 major manufacturing plants in 16 locations in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. To learn more about truck tires, visit www.michelintruck.com.
Mary Ann Kotlarich
Michelin North America