PRESS RELEASE DETAILS
Michelin Offers Aerodynamic Trailer Solution and Introduces Latest All-Weather X ONE Drive Tire
New turn-key MICHELIN ENERGY GUARD kit delivers significant fuel savings; X One Line Grip D drive tire promotes driver confidence and outstanding total cost of ownership
GREENVILLE, S.C., March 4, 2018 — Michelin North America is launching a Michelin first — a SmartWay®-verified(1) aerodynamic trailer solution kit, MICHELIN ENERGY GUARD — for use on 53-foot dry-van truck load, refrigerated truck load and other long-haul and super-regional applications. In addition, Michelin Americas Truck Tires is introducing the MICHELIN® X ONE® LINE™ GRIP D drive tire for fleets looking to maximize driver confidence in harsh weather operating in long-haul and super-regional routes. Available in May 2018, the MICHELIN X ONE LINE GRIP D will meet SmartWay requirements for low-rolling resistance tires and replaces the market-leading wide-base single, the MICHELIN® X ONE® XDN2.
With the biggest drag on fuel efficiency occurring at 65 miles per hour, fleets and owner-operators look for aerodynamic solutions that cut fuel costs but do not increase maintenance costs nor require driver attention and costly repairs. MICHELIN ENERGY GUARD is an easy-to-use, fuel-efficient and aerodynamic solution. Consisting of a resilient trailer skirt, trailer-end fairings, aerodynamic mud flaps and a wake reducer, the integrated kit eliminates the need for "boat tails" or combining elements from various vendors.
"Fleets can be frustrated with the current market solutions for fuel savings as they strive to improve their margins and competitiveness," said Adam Murphy, vice president, B2B marketing, Michelin North America. "Our MICHELIN ENERGY GUARD solution can result in a 7.4 percent fuel savings(2). Best of all, it requires no driver interaction in order to achieve these impressive results."
The fully-integrated Energy Guard kit boasts several innovations with its patent-pending design. The resilient trailer skirt integrates with other aerodynamic components, while its advanced technology enables coverage and stiffness without sacrificing durability. The skirt's flexible design folds out of the way if it strikes an obstacle or debris, while the trailer-end fairings direct airflow to the back of the trailer. The wake reducer minimizes the effect of the recirculation zone behind the trailer. The trailer end fairings and wake reducer are always functioning, always activated requiring no driver actions. The aerodynamic mud flaps reduce vehicle drag and road spray. ENERGY GUARD is aimed to help fleets reduce fuel consumption without increasing maintenance expenses.
Fleets looking for driver confidence in harsh weather can now depend on the MICHELIN X ONE LINE GRIP D. With more than 25 percent better snow traction than a leading competitive tire(3), the MICHELIN X ONE LINE GRIP D provides grip that weathers the elements. This tire has a "three peak mountain snowflake" (3PMSF) designation for use in severe snow conditions. Wide open shoulder grooves help deliver all-weather traction for driver confidence. Available in 445/50R22.5 and 455/55R22.5 sizes, this next-generation wide-base single drive tire will meet SmartWay requirements and is greenhouse-gas regulation compliant. MICHELIN X ONE LINE GRIP D allows fleets to carry 389 pounds of additional payload versus dual-wheel applications, critical for weight-sensitive fleets(4). Replacing the MICHELIN X ONE XDN2 with the MICHELIN LINE GRIP D and its enhanced tread compound results in an estimated annual fuel savings of $550 by (based on estimated fuel price of $2.99 per gallon)(5).
"Protecting drivers and their loads while providing outstanding total cost of ownership are key factors for driver retention, load care and uptime," Murphy said. "MICHELIN X ONE LINE GRIP D is the tire for miles of confident driving and all-weather grip while offering the right balance of fuel efficiency, weight savings and long tread life. The latest X One introduction continues our leadership in wide-base single innovation and provides a market-leading solution."
- The X One Line Grip D meets the EPA SmartWay requirements for low rolling resistant drive tires. Application pending.
- Fuel savings at 65 mph based on commissioned, third-party, simulation (CFD) and SAE J1321 track testing when compared to trailer with no aerodynamic devices.
- In a standardized snow test, the 445/50R22.5 MICHELIN® X One® LINE™ GRIP D Tire travelled 54% faster than the 445/50R22.5 Bridgestone® Greatec™ M835™ Ecopia™ Tire and 28% faster than the 445/50R22.5 Goodyear® G392A SSD™ DuraSeal + Fuel Max™ Tire. Actual on-road results may vary.
- Based on replacing (8) MICHELIN® XDN2® tires with Alcoa® Ultra ONE® wheels with (4) MICHELIN® X One® LINE&trade GRIP D Tires with Alcoa® Ultra ONE® wheels.
- Fuel savings calculated based on replacing the MICHELIN X One® XDN2 tire with the MICHELIN X One® LINE™ GRIP D tire in (4) drive tire positions on a class 8 tandem-drive axle truck and single tandem axle trailer combination travelling 100,000 miles/year. Calculations also based on the U.S. National average diesel fuel price as of January 16, 2018. Actual results may vary, and may be impacted by many factors, to include road conditions, weather, environment, combination of steer and trailer tires used, driving habits, tire size, equipment and maintenance.
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America, Inc. (www.michelinman.com) employs more than 22,650 and operates 20 major manufacturing plants. To learn more about truck tires and services, visit www.michelintruck.com.
Mary Ann Kotlarich
Michelin North America