THE IMPORTANCE OF TIRE AND WHEEL INSPECTION
Pre-trip inspections increase safety and maximize uptime. Not to mention they are a regulatory requirement. Make sure you own a calibrated air gauge, then follow the steps below. We've also created two videos to help get you started.
THE SIX STEPS OF PRE-TRIP INSPECTION:
- Check your tires for proper inflation. If a tire is 20% below its targeted PSI, it is considered flat and should be replaced. Also, dual tires should be within 10 PSIs of each other.
- Check your valve caps to make sure they are properly secured.
- Look for tread wear and check proper tread depth. To learn the fundamentals of tire wear, watch this video.
- Check for tire cuts or bulges in the sidewall.
- Check wheel and lug nut conditions. Make sure there is no rust or bends.
- Inspect suspension components.